Huevos rancheros, aka rancher’s eggs.
Huevos Rancheros, made vegan. Prior to my going vegan in 2015, Huevos Rancheros were one of my go-to breakfasts. As a vegan, there are several ways to recreate the star of the dish, huevos, but we went with the most realistic option from JUST Egg. Along with the scrambled JUST egg are warmed tortillas, refried beans, sour cream, avocado, cilantro, lime, and plenty of pico de gallo.
How to Make Vegan Huevos Rancheros:
Scrambled Huevos Rancheros
Traditionally Huevos Rancheros are made with a fried egg, but with this modified vegan version we opted for scrambled with the help of JUST Egg. If you’re not familiar with JUST, it’s a vegan egg alternative that is the best egg alternative we’ve ever seen in terms of how it mimics a real egg. It’s best for omelettes and scrambled, which is what we did here. If you want a simpler option, you can always whip up a simple tofu scramble.
Here are the ingredients used in this Vegan Huevos Rancheros breakfast:
- Vegan Egg Alternative.
- Refried Beans.
- Pico de Gallo.
- Vegan Sour Cream.
- Cilantro Sprouts.
A Hearty and Savory Breakfast Option
I tend to prefer heartier breakfasts which is one of the reasons I am so obsessed with these vegan huevos rancheros. Here are a few tips to make it great:
- Any egg alternative or even a tofu scramble will work, but if you’re looking for an authentic “egg” flavor opt for JUST Egg.
- Same deal with the tortillas – any work, but I find Siete has the best ingredients.
- The refried beans might be my favorite part of this dish. My go-to favorite is from Siete.
- The toppings can really be customized however you’d like. My favorites are sliced avocado, pico de gallo, vegan sour cream, lime juice, and cilantro.
Vegan Huevos Rancheros
- 2 Tortillas
- 1/2 Avocado, sliced
- 2-3 tbsp Pico de Gallo
- 2-3 tbsp Refried Beans
- 6 tbsp JUST Egg
- 2 Lime Wedges, juice from
- 1 tbsp Vegan Sour Cream
- Cilantro, topping
- Warm your tortillas on both sides until you see brown spots. About 30 seconds each side.
- Cook your JUST Egg according to package instructions. Simply, scramble as you would a normal egg.
- Warm your refried beans and spread onto each tortilla. Divide the scrambled eggs between the 2 tacos and top with sliced avocado, pico de gallo, vegan sour cream, cilantro, and lime juice. Enjoy immediately!