Time to throw away your pre-workout and opt for something more natural you can make in your own kitchen! These beet watermelon Pre-Workout Oxygen Shots are nature’s pre-workout and are designed to boost stamina and help your body recover. Run the extra mile or bench additional reps without the anxiety and jitters from traditional pre-workout.
How to Make Pre-Workout Oxygen Shots:
Pre-Workout Oxygen Shots Ingredients:
This recipe only contains 4 ingredients (5 if you count water) all of which can be found in your local grocery store. These simple ingredients host a whole lot of incredible benefits!
Here are of the ingredients used in this recipe:
- Fresh Lime Juice.
- Fresh Mint Leaves.
- Filtered Water.
Helpful Tips in Making the Perfect Oxygen Shots:
These oxygen shots have a whole bunch of incredible benefits. When you take a few shots before your workout you’ll notice incredible benefits like:
- Boosted stamina.
- An easier time breathing.
- Hitting extra reps or running/biking/swimming further distances.
- Faster recovery.
Still confused? Here are some frequently asked questions I’ve received regarding what exactly Oxygen Shots are:
1. Do these shots actually contain oxygen?
No! Beet juice raises the body’s nitric oxide levels which supports circulation, allows your lungs to take in more oxygen, and supports healthy blood flow. Basically, it helps your arteries relax which allows blood an easier time flowing. Nitric oxide positively impacts how oxygen is used in the body – for example, you’ll find your muscles won’t fatigue as quickly taking one of these shots before a workout. These shots are great for runners, bikers, or anyone about to do a cardio workout. I personally take them before both cardio and strength training workouts and find I can breathe so much better and can get more reps in. The watermelon contains L-Citrulline which also boosts nitric oxide in the body – the beet/watermelon combo is super powerful!
2. How long do they last?
It’s best to consume them within 3-4 days. It’s not the end of the world if you consume them within 5-6 days, you’ll just get better results the fresher they are. If you don’t think you’ll take them all right away, store leftovers in the freezer.
3. These shot glasses are only 2oz. Can I have more?
Yes, absolutely. I take 2 or 3 shots before a workout and find that works best for me. Start with one to make sure your body responds well to it. You can also divide this recipe between larger bottles.
4. What’s the difference between traditional pre-workout and these oxygen shots?
Traditional pre-workouts are designed to give you a quick hit of energy intended to push you during your workout. They obviously work well and get the job done but, like coffee, quick bursts of energy are tough on the system. These oxygen shots boost stamina and aid in muscle recovery without disrupting your system or giving you the jitters. Plus, they are incredibly heart healthy.
Pre-Workout Oxygen Shots
- 2 Beets, peeled and chopped
- 1/4 Large Watermelon, peeled and chopped
- 1 Lime, juice from
- 2 tbsp Fresh Mint Leaves
- 300 ml Filtered Water can sub for coconut water for extra hydration
- Assemble your ingredients. Add to the blender and blend on high until smooth. Should take about 2 minutes.
- Add a mesh strainer above a large bowl or cup - anything that has a spout - and pour in the liquid from the blender. I poured mine into the strainer then gradually transferred the liquid into a spouted glass measuring cup.
- Use the back of a spoon to gently press out all the liquid from the pulp. Discard your pulp OR add them to an ice cube tray. Store in the freezer and use in smoothies.
- Divide the oxygen shots amongst the shot bottles. Enjoy within 4 days.