If you’re craving churros (but don’t want to eat something fried) you NEED to try these gluten free vegan churro donuts! They’re soft, sweet, decadent, and made with healthy ingredients. Churros are typically not vegan and are deep fried. In this version, all the ingredients are vegan (and gluten free!) and are baked in the oven. Trust me, they are just as good as the real thing!
Churro Donuts Ingredients
The ingredients in these churro donuts are all accessible for the most part. If you aren’t able to access gluten free all purpose flour, you can use regular all purpose flour if you aren’t gluten free. Gluten free flour options include oat flour, almond flour, quinoa flour, etc. The key is making sure to use two different types of flour (ie oat flour and almond flour.) Gluten free all purpose flour delivers the best result in my opinion, but feel free to play in finding what works best for you.
You will need donut molds for this recipe. I recommend THIS ONE from Amazon.
Churro Chocolate Drizzle
In my opinion, the chocolate drizzle is a must! It’s not essential to the recipe, but it makes the churro donuts taste so authentic and rich. All you need to do is combine vegan chocolate chips with a splash of any plant based milk or coconut oil. If you’re in a bind, you can just use water. I recommend the brand ENJOY LIFE which can be found on Amazon or in Whole Foods.
Vegan Churro Donuts
- 1 cup gluten free all purpose flour can use regular all purpose flour
- 1 cup oat or almond flour
- 1.5 cups plant based milk
- 2 ripe bananas can sub for a container of vegan yogurt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 cup sugar of choice I used golden monkfruit
- 2 tsp baking powder
Cinnamon Sugar Coating
- 1/4 cup sugar of choice
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 2 tbsp vegan chocolate chips
- 2 tsp plant based milk can sub for coconut oil
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Add all donuts ingredients to a blender and blend until smooth. You can just mix everything in a bowl, but the end result may be a bit grainy.
- Lightly grease your donut molds with coconut oil, then evenly pour your batter inside each mold. I fill my molds about 85% of the way up.
- Bake for about 18 min, then let cool for about 10 min.
- While the donuts are cooling prep 2 side dishes – one with a mix of 1/4 c sugar and 1 tsp cinnamon. On the other pour 1/4 c coconut oil. When the donuts are completely cooled, dip each side in the coconut oil, dab on a paper towel to remove excess oil, then coat in the cinnamon sugar mixture.
- For the chocolate drizzle microwave 2-3 tbsp of vegan chocolate chips with a tiny splash of plant based milk for 30 seconds. Mix until smooth then drizzle over the donuts.