This flavorful vegan seafood pasta is made with 100% plant based ingredients. The vegan “scallops” are made with king oyster mushrooms which can be found in most grocery stores and Asian markets.
Vegan scallops are extremely easy to make and require little prep. Here’s exactly how to make them:
- Chop the stem of a king oyster mushroom into 1 inch rounds.
- Score each round with a knife. Make sure not to cut too deep to avoid breaking the mushroom.
- Heat vegan butter on a pan on a high heat.
- Sear the rounds for about a minute on each side, or until browned.
- Dab with a paper towel to remove excess butter.
Vegan Seafood Pasta
I still can’t believe how seafood-y this pasta tastes while using no actual seafood. This recipe is, as always, 100% vegan! Aside from the mushroom scallops, here’s how this vegan pasta achieved seafood flavors:
- Aromatics. Shallots and garlic are a must in this recipe. If you’re on a low FODMAP diet or avoiding onions & garlic, use a garlic infused oil.
- Fresh parsley. Make sure to chop it and use a combination of cooked and raw.
- Lemon juice & zest. I added lemon juice into the pasta sauce and topped the final product with the lemon’s zest which really ties it all together and locks in that “seafood” flavor.
Vegan Seafood Pasta
- 4 king oyster mushrooms
- 2 tbsp sesame oil
- 2 tbsp tamari
- 2 tbsp vegan butter
- 8 oz spaghetti
- 2 tbsp avocado oil
- 2 shallots, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup packed fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 lemon, zest & juice
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 3 tbsp vegan butter
- sea salt & pepper to taste
- chop the stem of your king oyster mushrooms into 1 inch rounds. use a knife to score each side. make sure not to cut too deep and break the mushroom.
- add mushroom rounds to a plastic bag along with the sesame oil and tamari. shake so that all the rounds are covered, and set aside to marinate.
- once you're nearly done with your pasta, heat vegan butter on a frying pan on a high heat. arrange the rounds on your pan once hot and sear for about a minute on each side.
- once done, add rounds to a paper towel and use another paper towel to blot off the excess butter. add on top of your pasta.
- add avocado oil to a pan on a low medium heat. once hot, add your chopped shallots and minced garlic.
- meanwhile, bring a pot of salted water to a boil and cook your spaghetti until tender. drain and rinse.
- to your pan of shallots and garlic add 1/2 cup of chopped parsley, lemon juice, and frozen peas. before juicing your lemon, make sure to use a grater to get the zest (this will be a topping)
- once the peas are defrosted, add your pasta, vegan butter, and another 1/2 cup of chopped parsley. mix to combine.
- divide pasta between two bowls and top with sea salt, pepper, lemon zest, fresh parsley, and the scallops.