Steamed Veggie Dumplings.
If you’re a dumpling fan you will absolutely LOVE these steamed veggie dumplings. The ingredients are plant-based, minimal, and gut friendly. For this recipe you’ll need a bamboo steamer rack, food processor, and dumpling wrappers. The best part of these dumplings is they yield a large batch which you can freeze and pop in your oven, air fryer, or re-steam when you’re ready to enjoy.
Bamboo Steamer Basket
To properly steam your dumplings, you’ll need a bamboo steamer rack 1 inch smaller than your pan. I heated water in a wide brim deep frying pan and fit my bamboo steamer on top. You will need to find a steamer that matches your specific pan – it should NOT reach the water in your pan or it’ll burn. Typically bamboo steamer racks are either 8 or 10 inches, so make sure to use a pan that is either 9 or 11 inches. Here’s exactly what I used:
Gut Healthy & Colorful Veggies
Inside these dumplings are rice, purple cabbage, carrots, spinach, shimeji mushrooms, raw sushi ginger, and miso paste. All of these ingredients are low FODMAP meaning they will not exacerbate any symptoms of IBS, SIBO, leaky gut, etc. If you’re looking to make these dumplings 100% low FODMAP, you will have to make gluten-free dumpling wrappers by hand. Unfortunately, I have yet to find premade gluten-free dumpling wrappers. If that’s the case, check out this gluten-free dumpling wrapper recipe by Ela Vegan.
You will be lightly sautéing your veggies in sesame oil then pulsing them in your blender. Be careful not to overblend, the mixture should be rough. I have a Hamilton Beach food processor which I love and has lasted me a few years without issue. If you’re looking for a pricier option, your best bet is a Cuisinart food processor.
For the sake of convenience, I purchased premade dumpling wrappers. They’re not as healthy as homemade dumpling wrappers and I have yet to find a gluten-free option, but they are incredibly convenient. You can find them in most major grocery stores, in your local Asian market, or on Amazon. If you are planning on making the dough for your dumplings rather than purchasing premade wrappers, I recommend purchasing a dumpling maker.
Steamed Veggie Dumplings
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 1 cup shimeji mushrooms
- 1/4 cup shredded purple cabbage
- 1/4 cup brown or white rice
- 1 large carrot, peeled and diced
- 1/2 cup spinach
- 1 tbsp miso paste
- 1 tbsp raw sushi ginger
- dumpling wrappers can find in your local grocery store, Asian market, or on Amazon
- tamari dipping sauce
- furikake dipping sauce
- Prep all ingredients. Heat sesame oil in a frying pan on a medium heat. After about 30 seconds add in the shimeji mushrooms, purple cabbage, rice, and diced carrots. Stir every minute or so for about 8-10 minutes or until slightly tender. Add in the spinach last and cook no more than a minute.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool. While the veggies are cooling prepare your dumpling station – start heating water in your frying pan with a bamboo steamer rack on top. Lay out your dumpling wrappers on a cutting board. Fill a small dish with water.
- Once your veggies have cooled down a bit, add to a food processor along with the miso paste and ginger. Pulse a few times making sure not to overblend – mixture should be rough. Add mixture to a mixing bowl.
- Use your finger to add a thin layer of water to the edges of your dumpling wrapper. fill dumpling wrapper with a small amount of the mixture. After a few you will be able to gage how much filling fits into each wrapper. Fold mixture in half and press the edges together to stick. Make sure to press the filling inwards to avoid spillage.
- The water should be lightly boiling in your frying pan. Add parchment paper to your bamboo steamer rack (if you don’t have it’s not a big deal, it’s to help avoid the dumplings getting stuck to the tray) and arrange the dumplings on your steamer rack. Make sure they’re not too crowded before closing the lid.
- Let the dumplings steam for about 12-15 minutes. Use chopsticks to gently remove the dumplings from your tray. Repeat until you have used all of the mixture.
- Add whatever dumplings you don’t want to a reusable bag and pop in your freezer. When you’re ready to enjoy them, you can either pop them in your air fryer or oven or re-steam them.
- Enjoy with soy sauce mixed with furikake.