A classic go-to. This Simple Italian Salad is an easy favorite of mine – it’s simple to prepare, a safe option to serve at a dinner party, and doesn’t get old. Feel free to customize it to your liking – great additions or substitutions would be olives, tofu, croutons, artichoke hearts, and a variety of Italian herbs such as basil, oregano, thyme, or rosemary.
A Dinner Party Classic
If you’re stuck with what to prep for vegans at a dinner party (or non-vegans!) salads with simple Italian ingredients like this tend to be a safe option. It’s not intricate or difficult to prepare, but features familiar flavors that do not disappoint. I used Violife’s VEGAN FETA which is incredibly realistic and sets this salad apart from basic vegan Italian salads.
This salad is well rounded nutrient wise, but specifically packed with healthy fats including:
- Avocado. Avocados are heart healthy, contain lots of potassium, and has a decadent rich texture.
- Pine Nuts. In moderation pine nuts are a great source of fiber, protein, iron, and magnesium. They are also heart healthy and can keep blood sugar levels stable.
- Vegan Feta. I love Violife because they use minimal ingredients – this differs from other vegan cheese companies that create products filled with toxic chemicals. This feta cheese also eerily tastes like the real thing!
Simple Italian Salad
- 4 cups chopped romaine
- 2 - 3 tbsp pine nuts
- 1 can chickpeas, drained and rinsed use 1/4 can per portion
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, chopped
- 1 - 2 persian cucumbers, thinly sliced
- 3 - 4 tbsp vegan feta
- 1 small avocado
- sea salt & pepper, to taste
- 1 shallot, sliced
- 4 tbsp olive oil dressing
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar dressing
- assemble all ingredients in a bowl and sprinkle with sea salt and pepper. mix olive oil and balsamic in a dish and split four ways