Lemon Parsley Alfredo Pasta.
Introducing the coziest pasta of all time! This lemon parsley alfredo pasta is like a cross between mac and cheese and a potato soup. The lemon and parsley flavors are fragrant, delicious, and offer so many health benefits. If you suffer from a digestive issue like IBS or SIBO, you will be happy to know this pasta is both vegan and low FODMAP!
Lemon Parsley Alfredo Sauce
I used a potato base for this pasta due to it’s creamy texture. The benefits that come with it being a starchy carb include:
- Keeps you satiated longer.
- High in fiber.
- Packed with antioxidants and micronutrients.
- Gut healthy & gentle on the digestive system.
Fresh herbs should be included in everyone’s diet. Not only do herbs provide flavor and the power to elevate a basic dish, they contain polyphenols. Polyphenols are a class of phytochemicals PACKED with micronutrients. They provide a ton of health benefits including keeping your gut healthy and happy.
This recipe is suitable for vegans on a temporary low FODMAP diet. If you follow me on Instagram, you may have heard me talk about FODMAPs and how it can cure digestive issues such as IBS, SIBO, or leaky gut. The diet consists of low FODMAP foods only for a few months, then requires slowly reintroducing high FODMAP foods back into your diet. Unfortunately, plant-based staples like cashews, beans, avocados, cauliflower, bananas, and mushrooms are all high FODMAP.
There are low FODMAP plant-based options, and this meal is an example of that. If you are not on a low FODMAP diet, you can replace one of the boiled potatoes with 1/2 cup soaked cashews. If you want to stick to low FODMAP ingredients but mix up the color, feel free to replace one of the boiled potatoes with 2 boiled carrots or 1/2 cup soaked macadamia nuts.
Lemon Parsley Alfredo
- 2 peeled boiled potatoes OR 1 boiled potato and 1/2 cup soaked cashews or macadamia nuts)
- 1.5 cup macadamia milk
- 3/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1 cup shredded vegan mozzarella can sub for additional nutritional yeast or a couple dollops of vegan cream cheese
- 1-2 lemons, juice from depends on how lemony you want your pasta – start with one and go from there
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp mustard powder or liquid mustard
- 1/3 cup fresh parsley
- 2 cups brown rice & quinoa pasta for serving – any type of pasta works
- red pepper flakes optional topping
- Peel your potatoes and add to a pot of water. Bring the water to a boil. Once the potatoes are tender, drain and remove from heat. If you can handle nuts, you can sub one of the potatoes for 1/2 cup of soaked cashews.
- Once the potatoes have cooled, add them to a food processor or blender. Add in the remaining sauce ingredients (macadamia milk, nutritional yeast, vegan cheese, lemon juice, mustard, sea salt)
- Blend until sauce is super creamy and smooth. Add in the parsley and only pulse a few times if at all, overblending it can kill the nutrients.
- Cook your pasta according to instructions. Drain, rinse, then return to it’s pot. Pour in the lemon alfredo sauce and mix to combine.
- Plate your pasta and top with additional fresh parsley, sea salt, and optional red pepper flakes. Enjoy!