This giant white bean chili is probably the most comforting soups I’ve ever had. It’s creamy but not too thick, packed with a variety of flavors, and is actually healthy. All of the ingredients in this soup are whole foods, plant-based, and minimal.
Giant White Beans
Giant white beans aren’t too common, and might be difficult to find in your grocery store. You can either buy them raw and cook them yourself, or do what I did and buy them canned and ready to go. I purchased canned giant white beans from Trader Joe’s in a tomato sauce – I wanted them plain, so I drained and rinsed the can before adding the beans to my soup. Here’s where you can find giant white beans online:
Essential White Bean Chili Ingredients
Chili soups are thick, cozy, and hearty. Traditional chili is made with lots of meat and dairy, fortunately there are vegan alternatives just as hearty. Essential vegan white bean chili ingredients include:
- Beans. I used a blend of regular white beans and giant white beans.
- Sour Cream. I made a vegan sour cream by mixing vegan mayo, apple cider vinegar, dijon mustard, lemon juice, and sea salt.
- Shredded Cheese. See my favorite vegan cheeses below:
Giant White Bean Chili
- 1 tbsp avocado oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1 tbsp umami boullion I buy from the brand Dark Horse Organic
- 1 tbsp minced jalapeño
- 1/2 cup parsley
- 1/2 cup cilantro
- 4.5 cups veggie broth
- 1 can white beans
- 2 cans giant white beans I purchased canned from Trader Joe's
- 1 can corn
- 1/2 cup vegan shredded cheese
- sea salt & pepper to taste
- shredded vegan cheese
- cubed avocado
- jalapeño, thinly sliced
- fresh parsley
- fresh cilantro
Vegan Sour Cream
- 1/2 cup vegan mayo
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- 1/2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- add avocado oil to a large pot. once hot, add the diced onions and garlic. cook until they just start to become translucent, about 3-4 minutes
- add in the seasonings – paprika, cumin, cilantro, parsley, nutritional yeast, minced jalapeño, and umami. cook for about 5 minutes allowing the onions to soak it all up
- add in the veggie broth, beans, corn, and shredded cheese. cook for about 30 minutes on a low-medium heat. the mixture should thicken up a bit.
- while the soup is cooking, mix the sour cream ingredients together in a bowl. this keeps in the fridge for about 10 days.
- divide the soup into four bowls (or one and store the rest in an air tight container in the fridge) and top with the jalapeño, cubed avocado, cilantro, parsley, sour cream, shredded vegan cheese, sea salt, and pepper. enjoy!