This creamy green chowder is such a comfort meal – it’s thick, cozy, nutritious, and super satiating. All you have to do is blend your veggies which results in a super creamy consistency – no heavy cream needed! I also added nutritional yeast which gives it a bit of a cheesy flavor – if you want your soup lighter, feel free to omit.
Loaded with Green Veggies
The base of this soup is zucchini, broccoli, green peas, and corn. The corn gives it a “chowder” consistency, but the veggies plus nutritional yeast, lime juice, and green onion make it unique. If you’re looking for similar soups try my MINTY PEA SOUP or ROOT VEGETABLE CHOWDER.
I like this recipe best hot, but you can eat it chilled as a gazpacho. If you prefer it as a gazpacho, I recommend adding more water and replacing the nutritional yeast with vegan parmesan cheese. My favorite is from VIOLIFE.
Creamy without the Cream
Traditionally heavy or thick soups like this require heavy cream, flour, or soaked nuts (such as cashews) to thicken it. None of that is necessary – I used peeled zucchini which was key in thickening the soup, plus you can’t taste it which is great. Peeled zucchini’s are a great thickener in smoothies too if you don’t like bananas.
I’ve tried this recipe with full fat coconut milk, and it was tasty but had SUCH a high fat content. Everybody is different, but I try to create recipes that aren’t too high in calories, fats, carbs, or even protein. I tend to stick to about 20-25% of fat per day – when one meal contains all the fat content I’d consume in one day, it makes other meals more difficult as they have to contain little to no fat. Plus, too much fat, protein, or carbs in one sitting can give you heartburn, bloat, or leave you dehydrated. Again, everyone is different, but more balanced meals have worked for me in terms of my overall health and happiness surrounding food.
Using the right amount of liquid varies from person to person – if you want a super thick soup, you don’t need that much water. If you like thinner soups, try adding 2 – 2 1/2 cups of water. The nutritional yeast acts as a cheesy flavor but also thickens the soup a ton, so you can omit that. If you still want a cheesy taste, try sprinkling a bit of vegan parmesan cheese on top. My favorite brand is from VIOLIFE.
Creamy Green Chowder
- oil spray I use avocado oil spray
- 2 cups frozen broccoli
- 1 cup frozen green peas
- 1 can corn reserve some for topping
- 1 zucchini peeled and diced
- 1/4 cup + 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 lime, juice from can sub for lemon
- 1 + 1/2 cup filtered water add as needed to adjust thickness
- green onions topping
- sea salt & pepper to taste
- wash and chop broccoli then heat a pan on medium-low heat with oil spray. once hot add frozen broccoli and green peas. if you’re using frozen corn, add that in too.
- to a blender or food processor add the corn (unless you’re using frozen), zucchini, lime juice, and water. once fully blended (doesn’t have to be perfect) add in the broccoli, green peas, nutritional yeast, and seasoning. blend until smooth and creamy - if the mixture is thicker than you’d like, add in more water until it reaches your desired consistency.
- add mixture into a sauce pan and heat at a low-medium heat until heated throughout, about 15 minutes. top with chopped green onions and corn.