This deconstructed sushi bowl is plant-based, simple, and delicious. Easy bowls like this are perfect for new vegans, those of you who don’t have time to cook, those of you new to cooking, or those of you who absolutely hate to cook! Most of the ingredients here are raw, so there’s little cooking involved aside from baking the tofu and cooking the rice.
Deconstructed Sushi Bowl Essentials
You can go as simple or as complex with this bowl as you’d like. I’ve included the basics:
- Brown rice. Packed with fiber and keeps you full for hours. Can sub for jasmine rice, forbidden black rice, or chickpea rice.
- Cucumbers. Hydrating and cooling.
- Avocado. Healthy fat and cooling.
- Baked Tofu. Protein and substance. Firm or extra firm tofu works best. Here are my favorite tofu brands:
If you want to go a bit more complex, try adding in these ingredients:
- Watermelon tuna. It takes 24 hours to prepare, but is SO good. Recipe HERE.
- Nori. Adds a fishy taste and is packed with antioxidants.
- Edamame. If you don’t like tofu, swap it for edamame. It’s a great source of protein and super easy to prepare – I tend to buy frozen.
- Crispy Onion. These don’t have any benefits other than they taste DELICIOUS and add a nice crunch to your bowl.
Fresh ginger is so delicious, and is essential in any sushi bowl. Here are my favorites:
Deconstructed Sushi Bowl
- 1/2 cup brown rice
- 1/2 cup snow peas
- 1/4 block firm tofu
- 3 tbsp tamari
- 1 persian cucumber, peeled and diced
- 1/2 avocado
- fresh ginger
- sesame seeds topping
- heat your air fryer or oven to 400 degrees. cube your tofu and mix in with the tamari. bake for 20 minutes flipping halfway through
- cook your your rice. while it's cooking, peel and dice your cucumber, dice your avocado, and trim your snow peas.
- arrange ingredients in a bowl and top with the fresh ginger and sesame seeds.