If you like Chipotle, you’ll LOVE this Cilantro Lime Chick’n and Rice Bowl. It’s filling, flavorful, rich, fresh, and a perfect quick lunch or dinner option. This bowl takes 20 minutes to prepare – triple or even quadruple it if you’re meal prepping.
Chipotle Chick’n and Rice Knockoff
This chick’n and rice bowl is just like a bowl you’d order at Chipotle, only it is free of processed ingredients and oils. I love Chipotle’s menu, but I don’t love Chipotle in terms of health. Luckily, this knockoff version can easily be made at home. Here’s what’s in the bowl:
- Cilantro Lime Rice. Filling & ultra flavorful.
- Seitan. High protein.
- Shredded Romaine. Hydrating & cooling.
- Avocado. Healthy fat.
- Pinto Beans. High in protein & fiber.
- Cherry Tomatoes. Hydrating & high in vitamin C.
Chipotle is also known for their cilantro lime rice which is incredibly easy to mimic. Chipotle uses a large amount of oil in their food which adds unnecessary fat and grease. I chose to cut oil out completely, I found it unnecessary because it really didn’t add anything flavor wise. And it’s 10x healthier without the oil!
Vegan Chick’n AKA Seitan
Seitan starts off as wheat flour and water, and is magically transformed into a just the wheat gluten after being rinsed in water. The rinsing of the dough isolates the gluten, which is the protein found in wheat. So seitan is high protein and low in everything else – if you don’t have any intolerance to wheat, you NEED seitan in your life!
Seitan is bland on it’s own, so adding flavor is essential. You can add regular seasonings like garlic powder or paprika, but I went with umami. It is SO flavorful and a must in any vegan kitchen.
Cilantro Lime Chick’n and Rice Bowl
- 1/2 cup jasmine rice
- 1 head romaine, shredded
- 1/2 cup pinto beans
- 1 lime, juice from
- 1/4 cup cilantro leaves
- 1/2 avocado
- 8 cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/2 cup seitan strips
- pepper to taste
- sea salt to taste
- 3/4 cup veggie broth
- 1 tbsp umami seasoning
- cook rice. once it's done cooking, mix in cilantro leaves, lime juice, and about 1/4 tsp of sea salt.
- drain and rinse pinto beans. halve your avocado, halve the cherry tomatoes, and cut your romaine head into shreds.
- cut seitan into strips. cook on your pan in the veggie broth and umami on a medium low heat. cook until seitan is slightly blackened and crispy.
- arrange shredded romaine, cilantro lime rice, seitan strips, pinto beans, avocado, and cherry tomatoes in a bowl. top with sea salt, pepper, cilantro leaves, and a lime wedge.