Cheesy Vegan Jackfruit Tacos.
There are so many incredible things about these tacos – they’re 100% vegan, cheesy, meaty, gluten-free, AND low FODMAP. If you’re looking to indulge on delicious plant-based ingredients, these tacos are for you!
Jackfruit has a ton of pros – it resembles pulled pork, is low in calories, is packed with fiber, and is rich in antioxidants and micronutrients. Plus it’s incredibly easy to prepare! Buy it canned in brine, rinse it well, break it up with your hands, and cook it in whatever sauce you’d like. I went with a smoky BBQ sauce for the tacos, but you can be as creative as you’d like. Here’s what you’ll need for this BBQ jackfruit:
A big reason people jump ship when on a vegan diet is due to digestion issues like IBS, SIBO, or leaky gut. To rid yourself of those issues, you’ll need to go on a low FODMAP diet to get your gut back to normal. High FODMAP foods include vegan staples like beans, lentils, and a ton of fruits and veggies including avocados, cauliflower, broccoli, and even zucchini. Meat and fish are naturally low in FODMAPs, which unfortunately leads many to believe they can’t cure their digestion issues on a vegan diet.
In short, if you need to go on a low FODMAP diet, don’t panic! Stay tuned for a long list of vegan low FODMAP recipes dropping later this month. In the meantime, download Monash University’s FODMAP app to find out exactly which foods you can and can’t eat. The diet is limiting, but really isn’t as limiting as you may think. The good news is you’ll likely only need about two to three months on the diet before your digestive system is back to functioning normally.
Vegan Jackfruit Taco Essentials
To make the best tacos, you’ll need the best ingredients. Here’s exactly what ingredients were used for these cheesy jackfruit tacos:
- Trader Joe’s corn tortillas. I adore Trader Joe’s, especially their minimal ingredient corn tortillas. The only ingredients are corn, water, and lime!
- Cheesy sauce. For this recipe, I used Loca Food Plant-Based Potato Queso. I love this cheese because it’s made from potatoes rather than cashews which tend to irritate the gut. If you want to make a cheese sauce from home, simply blend a peeled and boiled potato in nutritional yeast, plant-based milk, and seasonings.
- Veggie stirfry. Any type of veggies work in these taocs. For the sake of sticking with low FODMAP ingredients, I went for a corn, red bell pepper, and jalapeño blend. This stirfry goes perfectly with the jackfruit – if you aren’t a fan of spice, feel free to remove the jalapeños.
Cheesy Vegan Jackfruit Tacos
- 8 corn tortillas I used Trader Joe's
- 1 head romaine, shredded
- fresh cilantro topping
- 8 tbsp loca plant-based cheese sauce topping; 1 tbsp per taco
- 1 can jackfruit in brine
- 1/2 tbsp avocado oil
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 cup bbq sauce
Corn Red Pepper Stirfry
- 1 can corn, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 tbsp avocado oil
- 1 red bell peppers, diced
- 1 lime, juice from
- 2 tbsp jalapeno, thinly diced
- Drain and rinse jackfruit well. Use your hands to break up jackfruit into smaller shreds.
- Heat avocado oil on a pan. Once hot, add jackfruit, paprika, and salt. Stir every minute or so for about 5 minutes. Keep the temperature at a low medium heat.
- Add in the BBQ sauce and turn down the heat to low. Let simmer for 20-30 minutes stirring every 5 minutes or so. Towards the end, turn up the heat slightly.
Corn & Red Pepper Stirfry
- Drain and rinse your corn. Wash and dice your bell peppers and jalapeño. Add to a pan with avocado oil. Stir every so often on a medium heat until corn is slightly blackened. Turn off heat and mix in the lime juice. Reserve a few wedges for serving.
- Warm tacos on a clean frying pan, make sure there is no oil on the pan. Top with BBQ jackfruit, corn & red pepper stirfry, and a tbsp of loca cheese.
- For best results, place your taco in the microwave for a minute to let the cheese melt.
- Top with chopped romaine and fresh cilantro.