If you’re craving churros (but don’t want to eat something fried) you NEED to try these gluten free vegan Pumpkin Churro Scones! They’re soft, sweet, decadent, and made with healthy ingredients. Traditionally, churros are deep fried and made with butter and eggs. In my version, all the ingredients are vegan (and gluten free!) and are baked in the oven. The combo of churros and pumpkin will truly blow you away!
Pumpkin Churro Scones Ingredients
The ingredients in these pumpkin churro scones are all accessible for the most part. If you aren’t able to access gluten free all purpose flour, you can use regular all purpose flour if you aren’t gluten free. Gluten free flour options include oat flour, almond flour, quinoa flour, etc. The key is making sure to use two different types of flour (ie oat flour and almond flour.) Gluten free all purpose flour delivers the best result in my opinion, but feel free to play in finding what works best for you.
Churro Chocolate Drizzle
In my opinion, the chocolate drizzle is a must! It’s not essential to the recipe, but it makes the pumpkin churro scones taste so authentic and rich. All you need to do is combine vegan chocolate chips with a splash of any plant based milk or coconut oil. If you’re in a bind, you can just use water. My recommendation is the brand ENJOY LIFE which can be found on Amazon or in Whole Foods.
Pumpkin Churro Scones
- 1 cup gluten-free all purpose flour can sub for regular all purpose flour. I use Trader Joe's brand
- 1/2 cup oat flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 1/3 cup pumpkin puree
- 1/2 cup coconut yogurt I use Culina
- 3 tbsp oat milk
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
Vegan Chocolate Sauce
- 2 tbsp vegan chocolate chips
- 3 tsp plant based milk
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Combine the dry ingredients and wet ingredients in separate bowls. Once fully combined, mix the two bowls into one.
- Carefully roll your mixture into a ball on a lightly floured surface. Keep in mind the mixture will be fairly sticky. Flatten the ball with your hands into a circle an inch tall.
- Cut into 6 triangles and sprinkle with the cinnamon sugar topping. Make sure to reserve a small amount for after baking.
- Place on a parchment lined tray and bake until no longer mushy. For me it took 30-40 minutes. This all depends on your oven and the specific ingredients used, so be sure to check it at 30 minutes to see where you're at.
- Let cool for at least 15 minutes then sprinkle with more of the cinnamon sugar topping.
- Lastly, combine the chocolate sauce ingredients in a microwave safe bowl and microwave for 30 seconds or so. Mix with a spoon to remove all lumps then drizzle on the scones or serve on the side.