Hearty vegan Mexican Lasagna! This layered casserole is layered in tortillas, vegan beef from Abbot’s Butcher, vegan cheese, black beans, corn, tomatoes, and cooked in Mexican herbs and spices. It’s perfect for vegan dinner parties and potlucks. Expect rave reviews from this decadent and delish lasagna! Best served fresh.
Crowd Pleasing Mexican Lasagna
Not only is this lasagna so fun to make (great for kids!) it’s a crowdpleaser at dinner parties and potlucks. Whether you’re vegan or not, this lasagna is sure to be a huge hit. Feel free to make it ahead of time and bake it just before serving. Layered in this delicious lasagna are:
- Tortillas (my favorites are from the brand Siete)
- Shallots & Garlic
- Abbot’s Butcher Beef
- Diced Tomato
- Black Beans
- Enchilada Sauce
- Vegan Cheese
- Herbs & Seasoning
The best part is you can make this lasagna in one casserole dish. Simply layer the ingredients in between tortillas, top with cheese, bake, and serve! I find this casserole is best served fresh, but it’s still incredibly delish reheated within 5 days.
The stars of the lasagna are:
- Vegan “Beef” from Abbot’s Butcher. I’m a huge fan of Abbot’s because they use legitimate ingredients like pea protein, extra virgin olive oil, and mushrooms. Most vegan meat companies use a laundry list of chemicals, but Abbot’s uses real ingredients you can feel good about using.
- Vegan Shredded Cheese and Vegan Mozzarella. My go-to vegan shredded cheese brand is from Violife. It has delicious flavor, melts well, and has minimal ingredients compared to most vegan cheeses. The vegan mozzarella is optional but I added a bit on top which made the end result so much cheesier and decadent.
- 1 container Abbot's Butcher "Beef"
- 2 Shallots, thinly chopped
- 6 cloves Garlic, minced
- 1 tsp Cumin
- 1 tsp Paprika
- 1/2 tsp Chili Powder
- 1 tsp Dried Cilantro
- 1 tsp Sea Salt
- 1 tsp Black Pepper
- 1 can Diced Tomatoes
- 1 cup Corn
- 1/2 cup Enchilada Sauce
- 1/2 can Black Beans
- Vegan Shredded Cheese
- Vegan Mozzarella optional
- Sliced Olives
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees and heat oil on a large skillet.
- Cook shallots and garlic for a few minutes before adding the Abbot’s Butcher “beef” along with the paprika, cumin, dried cilantro, chili powder, salt, and pepper. Stir occasionally for 15 minutes or so or until “beef” starts to brown.
- Add in the can of diced tomatoes and corn and cook for another 10 minutes or so.
- Add a layer of enchilada sauce to your casserole dish topped with corn tortillas. Break up the tortillas as necessary to fit your dish.
- Add 1/2 of the “beef mixture” topped with more tortillas. Add a layer of vegan shredded cheese and black beans followed by another layer or tortillas. Add the remaining “beef” mixture topped with a final round of tortillas. Top that with enchilada sauce, vegan shredded cheese, optional vegan mozzarella, and sliced olives.
- Bake for 15 minutes at 400 degrees. Switch your oven to broil and keep in for about 5 minutes or until the top layer starts to brown. Remove lasagna from oven and let cool before topping with sprouts and digging in!