Black Tahini Toast.
If you like tahini you will love this nutty black tahini toast. The spread is made with black sesame seeds, sesame oil, optional roasted garlic, and sea salt. Spread onto a slice or two of toasted bread and top with sliced cucumber, micro arugula, a drizzle of olive oil, and a sprinkle of sea salt.
Black Tahini Spread
This spread is incredibly easy to make. Simply wash your black sesame seeds, roast a clove or two of garlic until fork tender, then add to a food processor along with sesame oil and sea salt. Keep in mind you will have to stop often to scrape down the sides of the food processor. Continue blending until the mixture is creamy and smooth. The longer you blend, the smoother the mixture gets. Store the tahini in an airtight container and keep in the fridge for up to a few weeks.
Here are my top 2 food processor picks from Amazon:
Cucumbers & Micro Arugula
Cucumbers are perfect on this toast because they are so refreshing. The black tahini is very thick and nutty, so hydrating cucumber slices are the perfect contrast. Micro arugula is not necessary but adds great flavor and nutritional benefits. I used a mandoline to slice my cucumbers and I highly recommend investing in one if you haven’t already. It’s very difficult to cut vegetables perfectly even and super thin without the help of a mandoline.
Here’s my top Mandoline pick from Amazon:
Black Tahini Toast Process:
The best part of this black tahini is how long is lasts in the fridge. I store mine in a small weck jar in my fridge and it lasted about 3 weeks. Here’s exactly how I made it:
- Roast your garlic. Peel a clove or two of garlic and add to your oven or air fryer. Drizzle a tiny amount of avocado oil and bake at 450 degrees for about 15-20 minutes or until just fork tender.This step is totally optional – if you don’t love garlic, feel free skip.
- Make your tahini. Wash your black sesame seeds then add to a food processor with the roasted garlic, sesame oil, and sea salt. Pulse while scraping down the sides of the food processor frequently. Continue until your tahini is well combined and creamy.
- Make your toast. Add 2 slices of bread to a toaster. Use a mandoline (or a knife) to thinly slice your cucumber. Spread the black tahini on the toast and top with the cucumber slices, micro arugula, a sprinkle of sea salt, and a drizzle of olive oil.
Black Tahini Toast
- 1.5 cups black sesame seeds
- 2 tbsp sesame oil
- 1 or 2 cloves roasted garlic optional
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1 small cucumber, thinly sliced
- micro arugula
- drizzle of olive oil
- sprinkle of sea salt
- 2 slices bread I used young kobra’s gluten-free sourdough bread
- Blend all tahini ingredients together in a food processor. Make sure to scrape down the sides frequently. Blend until the ingredients are incorporated and smooth – the longer you blend the softer and creamier the spread gets. Add to a jar and store in the fridge for up to a few weeks.
- Toast your bread and thinly chop your cucumber. For best results, use a mandolin.
- Spread the black tahini on your toasted bread and save the rest in the fridge. Top with the sliced cucumber, micro arugula, a drizzle of olive oil, and a sprinkle of sea salt.