Stuffed Spaghetti Squash Bolognese.
Whether you’re looking for a healthier pasta alternative, looking to incorporate more whole foods into your diet, or just love spaghetti squash and/or bolognese, this Stuffed Spaghetti Squash Bolognese is a must try. It’s incredibly easy to make, is ultra flavorful, and is one the healthiest sources of carbs.
Spaghetti Squash is a great source of healthy carbs, fiber, vitamin C, and manganese. It is incredibly filling and provides your body sustained energy for hours. The process is very simple as the spaghetti squash will mostly be in the oven throughout the entire cooking process. You will need a good strong knife to cut the spaghetti squash in half, here are my top picks from Amazon:
Now for the stuffing! Tofu is a great source of plant protein and is low in carbs, fat, and calories. I used a high protein tofu which contains little water and therefore doesn’t require pressing. Crumble the tofu in a mixing bowl and pan fry with just oil first. You won’t add the other toppings until it’s golden brown and crispy. Here are my favorite high protein tofu brands you can find online:
If you’re low FODMAP, you will have to either make your own tomato sauce or use a low FODMAP certified tomato sauce. Unfortunately 99% of tomato sauces have onions or garlic, which are two things you cannot consume on a temporary low FODMAP diet. Tomato sauce is versatile and can be used among a variety of recipes like this one, pastas, casseroles, or to flavor veggies. My top pick on Amazon is Foody Fod Co’s Tomato Basil Sauce which only contains chopped tomatoes, olive oil, carrots, basil, and sea salt. They also come in other flavors including Arrabbiata Sauce and Marinara Sauce.
If you are NOT on a temporary low FODMAP diet, any tomato sauce goes. Here are my top healthiest tomato sauce picks found on Amazon:
Stuffed Spaghetti Squash Process
This stuffed spaghetti squash is surprisingly very simple to make. I enjoy it fresh, but you can technically save it in a container to eat later.
Here’s my process:
- Prep your spaghetti squash. Chop your spaghetti squash in half using a strong knife then scoop out the insides. Brush with avocado oil, flip, poke holes into the spine using a fork, then bake.
- Make the Tofu Bolognese. Rinse and crumble your tofu then pan fry in avocado oil. Once it’s golden and crispy, add the tomato sauce and remaining ingredients. Once crispy, remove from heat.
- Stuff your spaghetti squash. Remove the spaghetti squash from the oven and fill each half with the tofu bolognese. Top with shredded vegan cheese and basil then return to the oven to cook for another 15 minutes or so.
- Serve fresh or save for later. I recommend eating the spaghetti squash fresh, but you can choose to store it in a container and eat it later. If that’s the case, hold off stuffing the spaghetti squash and wait until you’re ready to eat it.
Stuffed Spaghetti Squash
- 1 spaghetti squash
- 1 tbsp avocado oil
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 block super firm protein
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce
- 1 tsp cumin
- sea salt & pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup vegan shredded cheese 1/4 cup on each half
- fresh basil topping
- Chop your spaghetti squash in half with a strong knife. Scoop out the insides then brush with avocado oil. Sprinkle the sea salt and pepper evenly in both halves.
- Flip your spaghetti squash so they’re face down on a parchment lined baking tray. Use a fork to poke holes down the back of the spaghetti squash. You don’t want your fork to go all the way through the squash, just a small poke to let it breathe. I usually make around 6-7 holes in the squash a few inches apart.
- Bake your squash at 400 degrees for about 45 minutes.
- While the squash is cooking, rinse your tofu block and add to a mixing bowl. Use a fork to crumble the tofu then mix in the avocado oil.
- Pan fry while stirring frequently until the tofu is golden brown and cripsy throughout.
- Once the tofu is golden and crispy, add the tomato sauce, cumin, salt, and pepper. Cook until the tofu is crispy.
- Once the spaghetti squash is done, fill each half with the tofu bolognese and top with shredded cheese and basil. Crank up the oven to 450 and once hot, add the squash back in face up and cook until the cheese has melted. I cooked mine for about 15 more minutes.
- Serve immediately and enjoy! If you plan on eating it later, skip stuffing the spaghetti squash and wait until you’re ready to eat it. Store the tofu bolognese and spaghetti squash separately.