Cheddar Jalapeño. meet mini focaccia.
How to Make Cheddar Jalapeño Mini Focaccia:
Cheddar Jalapeño Focaccia Made in a Loaf Pan
This particular focaccia recipe is cheddar jalapeño flavored. It’s still vegan, for the cheese I used Violife’s Mexican Shreds. Here are all of the ingredients used:
- Bread Flour. Regular flour works, but bread flour will take it to the next level.
- Active Dry Yeast.
- Sea Salt.
- Warm Water.
- Olive Oil.
- Jalapeno Slices.
- Violife Mexican Shreds.
- Flaky Sea Salt.
How to Perfect the Dough
The best part of this recipe is how EASY it is. You’re only working with one cup of flour so it’s significantly easier to knead and handle. It also doesn’t need to rest as long which cuts the time in half.
The key is giving the dough time to rest. It doesn’t need much since it is a small batch, but you absolutely cannot skip it. Once you mix your ingredients and form your dough, you’ll want to cover it with plastic wrap or a towel for 20 minutes. Use a thin spatula to fold the dough over itself a few times, then let it rest for another 20 minutes. The fold over process is done by using your spatula to secure one of the sides of the dough, stretching it upwards, then pressing it into the center of the dough. Rotate the bowl and repeat until you have a solid shaped ball.
Knead a final time then drizzle oil in a loaf pan. I used a 6 inch cast iron skillet, though the size of your pan or skillet does NOT have to be exact. Use your hands to slightly stretch the dough out into the shape of the skillet, but don’t force it. Drizzle a bit of oil on top. Cover and let rest for 40 minutes.
When the 40 minutes is up, use your fingers to dimple the dough. Gently stretch it towards the edges of the skillet if it’s not there already. Again, don’t force it! For the 6 inch, it didn’t take long to fill.
Cover and let rest for a final 20 minutes then decorate with the shredded vegan cheese, jalapeño slices, and flaky sea salt. Bake at 400 degrees F for 20-25 minutes. Let cool slightly then enjoy immediately. You can keep it for a few days on the counter wrapped in foil, but I recommend eating it that same day.
Cheddar Jalapeño Mini Focaccia
- 1 cup Bread Flour
- 1 tsp Active Dry Yeast
- 1/2 tsp Sea Salt
- 1/2 cup Warm Water
- 1/4 cup Olive Oil
- Jalapeño Slices topping
- Shredded Vegan Cheese topping
- Flaky Sea Salt topping
- In a medium sized bowl, combine the flour with the active dry yeast and sea salt. Once combined, add 1/4 cup of warm water and 3 tbsp of olive oil in the center and whisk well. Gradually add in another 1/4 cup of warm water until a ball is formed. The ball should be pretty sticky.
- Once your ball is formed and the ingredients are mixed together, cover the bowl with plastic wrap or a towel. Let rest for 20 minutes then knead using a thin spatula. What you'll do is wet the spatula then use it to slightly lift one side of the ball upwards. Press it back down into the center of the dough ball. Rotate your bowl and repeat until you have a nicely formed dough ball. Refer to the video in the blog post if you're confused. Cover and let rest for another 20 minutes.
- Knead for a final time then transfer your dough to your mini cast iron, or if you don't have, a 1lb loaf pan. Make sure to add a quick drizzle of olive oil to the bottom of your pan first. Add another quick drizzle of oil on top of the dough ball then use your fingers to slightly press the dough into the shape of the skillet. Don't force it, the dough will be smaller than the pan which is normal. Let it rest covered for 40 minutes to give it time to grow.
- After 40 minutes, uncover the dough and use your fingers to dimple the dough very gently stretching it towards the edges of the pan. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees then cover one final time for 20 minutes.
- Now it's time to decorate your focaccia! Sprinkle with vegan shredded cheese, jalapeño slices, and flaky sea salt. I personally just like the toppings on top, but if you want them incorporated in the bread, gently press them down into the dough. You can also get creative and add whatever toppings you'd like. Add into the oven and bake for 20-25 minutes. I cooked mine for about 24 minutes and it was perfect.
- Let cool slightly then enjoy immediately! You can cover in foil and keep on the counter for a few days, but it is best fresh.