Vegan Butternut Squash Mac and Cheese
Richy, decadent, and creamy vegan mac and cheese made from butternut squash.
- 1 butternut squash, cubed should yield about 3 cups
- 1 tbsp avocado oil
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1 - 2 cups plant-based milk start with 1 cup. if mixture is too thick, gradually increase by 1/4 cup
- sea salt to taste
- fresh thyme topping
- shredded vegan cheese optional if you want recipe extra cheesy
- 1 - 2 cups pasta one serving is 1/2 cup
chop the top and bottom off the butternut squash and peel entire squash. chop squash into cubes.
heat a large pan with avocado oil on a low-medium heat. once hot, add your butternut squash and keep pan covered stirring every few minutes. repeat until squash is tender, then remove from heat.
once the squash is completely cool, add to a blender along with nutritional yeast, sea salt, and oat milk. blend until creamy. if mixture is too thick, gradually add more plant-based milk 1/4 cup at a time.
cook pasta according to instructions. drain then return to pot and pour butternut squash cheese into pot. mix to combine.
divide pasta between 2 to 4 people and top with fresh thyme.