This plant-based beef casserole is one of my absolute favorite dishes made with ground “beef” from Meatless Farm. In creating this blog my goal was and is to get as many people as I can to transition to a vegan diet, or at the very least reduce their consumption of animal products. Recipes like this are what I recommend to new vegans or those who don’t believe vegan food can possibly compare to animal-based foods. This plant-based beef casserole is realistic, flavorful, hearty, and is not overly processed or loaded with chemicals like most meat and cheese alternatives.
Meat alternatives are great in the beginning of your plant-based journey because it proves that vegan food doesn’t have to be boring. I opted for Meatless Farm because they’re the lightest meat alternative I’ve yet to find on the market. Most meat alternatives are oily, heavy, and loaded with chemicals, Meatless Farm tastes fresh.
With that being said, I can’t recommend Meatless Farm as actually being healthy. It contains canola oil and unspecified “natural flavors” which is something I steer clear of when reading ingredients. While it’s the healthiest out there, it’s not healthy.
I recommend a plant-based diet consisting of primarily whole foods, but it’s unrealistic to expect a new vegan to make the switch with complete ease. That’s why alternatives like Meatless Farm exist! It’s difficult to completely change your diet, and transitional vegan “meats” are “cheeses” are helpful in that early transition. Even being vegan for years, I still indulge in these alternatives from time to time.
I used vegan shredded cheese and vegan cream cheese on top of this casserole. These vegan cheeses are healthy and safe from toxic chemicals:
Here are my favorite vegan cream cheeses:
Plant-Based Beef Casserole
- 1 container meatless farm ground beef
- 24 oz gluten-free penne pasta I used whole foods's brand
- 1 medium onion diced
- 1 tbsp avocado oil
- 2 tbsp minced garlic
- 2 cups marinara sauce
- 2 cups shredded vegan cheese
- salt & pepper to taste
- fresh parsley topping
- vegan cream cheese optional topping
- preheat your oven to 400F and grease a casserole dish.
- boil a large salted pot of water for the penne and cook it for 10 min.
- add avocado oil on your pan then add the onion and garlic. once onion is translucent add the defrosted beef and sauté over medium-high heat breaking the meat up as you go along for 10ish min.
- stir in the marinara sauce and add salt & pepper.
- drain the pasta and mix it into your pot. add mixture into your casserole dish and top with an even layer of the shredded vegan cheese.
- bake for 15 min then top w fresh parsley and cream cheese dollops.