This Farro and Feta Salad is a recreation of one of my fave salads from Fresh on Sunset! It’s extremely easy to prep due to all the raw ingredients, all of which are packed w/ essential nutrients and are extremely hydrating. The flavors are similar to my Greek Salad but have a totally different texture. This salad is great year round, but is best enjoyed on a hot day given how cooling it is.
The Side Dish Method
In my COLE SLAW ARUGULA SALAD POST I talk about the “side dish” or “appetizer” method when preparing a salad. Essentially you prep a lot of small appetizers as you’re meal prep rather than pre-portioning out every single meal you’re going to eat. This allows for variety on your plate day to day (you choose how to build your salad when it’s time to eat), gives you freedom to eat intuitively, and makes for a much easier time in the kitchen. Each ingredient in this salad are great as appetizers or garnishes, so I encourage you to mix it up! If there are any ingredients that you don’t like or are not accessible to you, swap it for any other side dish or garnish. While I chose these ingredients specifically to mimic Fresh’s salad, all of these toppings / garnishes can be stored in their own containers in bigger batches so when it comes time to eat your salad, you feel like you’re at a salad bar with tons of options.
All of the ingredients in this salad are pretty accessible – vegan feta can be found in most grocery stores or online. I used VIOLIFE FETA CHEESE but alternatives include MIYOKOS MOZZARELLA and VIOLIFE PARMESAN. For the farro, I used TRADER JOE’S 10 MINUTE FARRO.
Farro + Feta Salad
- 2 cups farro
- 1 can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 red onion, diced
- 1 large cucumber, peeled and diced
- 2 red bell peppers, diced
- 4 cups baby arugula
- 1/2 cup vegan feta
- 1/4 cup sesame seeds
- 4 tsp chia seeds
- 1/4 cup hemp seeds
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 2 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 cup balsamic glaze
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- combine ingredients and store in the fridge for up to 2 weeks
- cook farro according to instructions. let cool while you prep the remaining ingredients
- add 1 cup of arugula to your bowl. top with 1/4 of each ingredient - 1/4 of the feta, 1/4 of the cucumber, 1/4 of the chickpeas, etc. this bowl is enough for 4 servings, so you can store them in pre-portioned containers or in their own small containers.
- drizzle 1/4 of the dressing on top and serve!