Enhance your breakfast routine with these ultra healthy, plant powered beet pancakes.
Made from Superfoods
The star of the pancakes are the beet powder! In addition to giving your pancakes the pretty pink color, benefits of beet powder include:
- Rich in immune-boosting antioxidants
- Reduces blood pressure
- Improves athletic performance
- Boosts brain power
- Fights inflammation
Boost your Iron Levels
Feel to modify this recipe any way you’d like – swap out the beet powder for spirulina or matcha and you’ll have bright green pancakes! We love beet powder due to the high levels of iron. I have seen many women transition to a vegan diet and develop anemia due to a lack of red blood cells – when your body is used to getting nutrients from animal protein, you must provide your body with adequate alternatives when moving towards a plant-based lifestyle.
This recipe is great because the beet powder is PACKED with iron – you can also throw it into a smoothie, hummus, soup, baked goods, or even salad dressing. It’s easy to thrive on a plant powered lifestyle as long as you are educated on what you put into your body.
This recipe is AMAZING pre-workout – not only does it aid in the creation of carnitine (helps your body turn fat into energy), beets are rich in nitrates which lowers the amount of oxygen your muscles needs and supports a healthy blood flow. If you are unable to eat before you workout, try my HYDRATING BEET JUICE recipe to sip on before you hit the gym.
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 flax egg 1 tbsp ground flax + 3 tbsp water
- 3/4 cup plant-based milk
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 3 tbsp beet powder
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp peanut butter
- add flax egg ingredients in a small bowl and set aside
- combine plant based milk & apple cider vinegar in a small bowl and let sit for a few min. add in flour, baking powder, beetroot powder, sea salt, vanilla, peanut butter, and coconut oil to the bowl. once whisked, mix in the flax egg which should have a gooey consistency
- heat coconut oil on your griddle or skillet and cook pancakes for a few min on each side. I topped my pancakes with vegan powdered sugar and vegan chocolate chips, but feel free to add more peanut butter, fruit, etc!